Sunday, September 30, 2012

Strategy to Revising a Novel


Ten-Point Method of Revision

 

Every author has their own method for getting their novels ready for publishing. Below, I’ve broken down the basic ten steps that I follow when I perform my revisions on my written words.

To be totally honest, I’m not always successful in following each step to the “T”.  After all, this is my baby, and no one likes to tear apart their babies even if it is for the greater good.  And I am certainly no different, but this is my guide. 
 
§  Remove unnecessary description. Resist the Urge to Explain (RUE)
§  Show…Don’t tell
§  Know each character’s motivations
§  Reveal the personality of a character by adding emotion to dialogue
§  Incite reader curiosity by ending a chapter early
§  Delete adverbs
§  Tighten those words           
§  Draw on your senses to describe settings.  Use smell, sight, and even sounds to   describe your surroundings.          
§  Shorten the length of sentences as your tension mounts.
§  Keep the story moving forward.

I hope this helps as you prepare to begin the daunting task of revising your work.

Happy Writing!

No comments: